Blog Sale

Sunday 27 November 2011

Some crappy bath products - part 2

Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake Shampoo, Shower gel & Bubble Bath
I actually feel kinda guilty writing this post as this was a rather thoughtful birthday present from a very very good friend of mine. But he doesn’t read my blog so it’s all good :)

When I unwrapped this I thought it was the best gift ever. The Philosophy packaging is gorgeously simple and I love the recipe for a vanilla birthday cake on the front. On another shower gel in might be weird but on one called Vanilla Birthday Cake it’s beautifully apt

Unfortunately I decided to actually use this and it all went downhill from there...

The smell is incredibly fake and nothing like proper vanilla. Ever have cherry sweeties? Ones that smell nothing like cherries but because you’re so used to the taste and smell being associated with cherries it becomes the norm and you don’t actually compare the sweeties to the real fruit? Well this is a bit like that… the smell is obviously s’posed to be vanilla and as long as you don’t expect it to smell like the real thing then it’s fine. Havent actually eaten it so cant attest to the taste though

The texture is totally bland, doesn’t create a particularly nice lather and doesn’t leave my skin (or hair) feeling soft. What have I missed? Oh yeah, as a bubble bath it’s below average cos the bubbles aren’t all luxuriously thick and creamy, as you get with even the most basic drugstore brands like Nivea and Dove. I guess I just expect more from Philosophy as I absolutely love some of their products but this is just a big bottle of meh

Summary :

Cost - £14
Size – 480mls
Good points? – Looks nice sitting on my bathroom shelf. It’s massive so if you like it it’ll last ages
Bad points? - Please see above. And it’s massive so if you don’t like it it’ll last ages
Will I repurchase? - Nu-uh

3 comments:

Emilyisasecret said...

I am so thankful for this post! I have been wondering how their products are for ages...

Bailey said...

They don't do vanilla scents very well at all, but the others I've tried have been amazing- especially the classic fudge cake.

Lucy said...

this is Sephora's birthday gift to VIBs this season... or what I'm available to receive anyways... once I read your review, I think I might pass... or simply pass it on :)